Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Progressing to VoIP

About 6 months ago I decided that paying thirty-something dollars a month to have a land-line at home was becoming a joke - especially since we often made less that $7 worth of calls on it a month. So I rang my provider (Optus) and asked to be disconnected. After 2 transfers I was asked why I wanted to leave [too expensive], I was then offered my monthly line rental for only $10 a month for the next 6 months. So I took it. Half a year later I read that the reoccurring charges would be increased by an extra $2. The next bill showed that I had been reverted to the full monthly charge. After a quick phone call I disconnected my line. For the next 2 weeks I received mail from Optus addressed to the "New Resident" offering discounts if I bundled products with them for 12 months. Nice try. After a few months of solely using our mobiles my mum calls and basically says "this will need to be a quick call as I'm paying long-distance". Well she's probably paying more than if it was long distance, but I got the hint. Around the same time (early April) my APC magazine came in the mail with an article on Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP). I have been interested in this for awhile but wary as none of the major carriers where offering it (but why would they - it would add more salt to the land-line wound). So now I'm taking it seriously and on the verge of going ahead. Some of my requirements are:
  • minimal to no monthly fee
  • inbound number
  • ability to use existing analogue phone
Nice to have are:
  • web management
  • caller ID
  • voicemail
  • voicemail to email
  • call forwarding
  • soft-phone (for OSX)
I have started a simple comparison of what I used to pay (Landline) and what I currently pay (mobile) to what the various VOIP providers offer.

Comparison

Correct for most of April 2005

Key:
  • * calls per minute (else untimed)
  • () Flagfall
Provider Monthly To mobile To Local To National
Optus Landline $29.95 37¢* (37¢) 15¢ 24¢* (37¢)
Optus Mobile $0 36¢* (25¢) - 74¢* (25¢)
Engin $9.95 30¢* 10¢ 10¢*
Freshtel $9.95 30¢* 7¢* 7¢*
myfone $15 29¢* 10¢ 10¢*

1 Comments:

Blogger Mountain/\Ash posted...

I got an email from Engin yesterday to say that the whole of Australia is now a untimed 10 cent call. Which is great news.

11:53 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home